Cioppino Recipe (Italian Seafood Stew)
February 25, 2022
- 4-6 cloves Garlic, finely minced
- 1 fresh or dried Bay Leaf
- 2 chopped Celery Ribs
- 1 thinly sliced Fennel Bulb
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 1 cup Dry White Wine
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 sprigs Fresh Thyme, leaves removed
- 1 handful chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 lbs 2-inch chunks Cod or Other Firm Whitefish
- 8 large Shrimp
- 16-20 whole Mussels
- 1 lb Haddock, cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp Red wine vinegar
- In a large pot over moderate heat combine oil, celery and onion and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Saute vegetables for a few minutes to begin then add the garlic and bay leaf.
- Cook until slightly browned then add the wine to the pot.
- Reduce wine a minute, then add chicken stock, tomatoes, thyme, and parsley.
- Bring sauce to a bubble and reduce heat to medium low.
- Season fish chunks with salt and pepper. Add fish and simmer 5 minutes, giving the pot a shake now and then. Do not stir your soup with a spoon after the addition of fish or it will break into pieces!
- Add shrimp and mussels and cover pot. Cook 10 minutes, giving the pot a good shake now and again, to move things around a bit.
- Remove the lid and discard any mussels that do not open.
- Taste the broth and add seasonings/lemon juice to taste. Serve with parmesan cheese and enjoy!