Apple & Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe
Oct 20, 2017
Apple & Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Sharp knife and cutting board
- Large skillet & wooden/silicon cooking spoon
- Baking sheet & foil/cooking spray
- Oven & oven mitts
1. Peheat oven to 420 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil or cooking spray.
2. With a sharp knife, cut off the top and bottom of each squash, removing as little as possible. Then cut the squash in half. Carefully scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Cut a small slice off of the back of the squash, so it sits flat on the baking sheet.
3. Drizzle a bit of olive oil in each half squash (or spray with cooking spray), spreading the oil evenly with your fingers or a brush. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Place squash, open side up, on a baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 min depending on how big the squash is, until it’s fork tender.
5. While the squash is baking, heat a skillet over medium heat. Sauté meat/meat substitute until cooked through. Remove from pan on paper towel lined plate.
6. Add onions and celery to the same pan, adding in a bit of olive oil if needed. Sauté onion and celery for about 3 minutes, adding a pinch each of salt and pepper. Add apples and garlic and saute another 2 minutes, until slightly softened, adding the pinch of nutmeg, cayenne (if using), onion powder and garlic powder.
7. Stir in sage, parsley, lemon juice and bread crumbs. Add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and stir until cheese is just melted. Add back in the meat/meat alternative and stir to combine, seasoning a bit more with salt and pepper if needed.
8. Divide the mixture evenly between the 4 squash halves (you may have a bit of extra filling) Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese. Return to oven and cook for 10-15 minutes more, until cheese is melted and browned on top.
*To make vegetarian: substitute sausage with meat alternative OR 1 large package (16oz) finely chopped mushrooms
*To make vegan: see above instructions for meat, in place of the parmesan cheese, use nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan cheese
* To make gluten free: choose a gluten free breadcrumb